Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Exclusive: Family of man who died after struggle with dog owner looking for answers

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- A Milwaukee family is speaking out after police say their brother died after attacking a man in downtown Milwaukee.

His sisters are looking for answers in the investigation.

The investigative report says Santonio Rogers ran out of a parking structure and attacked a man walking his dog near Wells and Old World 3rd Street.

Now, Rogers' sisters want to know what led up to the altercation. 

Lucia Light and LaAngela Simmons are now remembering their brother Santonio Rogers, or as they call him, Scooter.

"He was a talented poet, he was a beautiful spirit, and he could put a smile on anyone's face," said Light.

The 28-year-old left behind his 1-year-old daughter.

"Although he's gone, he did leave behind a gift, our niece," said Simmons.

Their brother died last week. According to the Medical Examiner's report, the struggle started after Rogers allegedly attacked the man walking his dog near Wells and Old World 3rd. The man hit, punched, kicked, and knocked Rogers to the ground.

"They said he got into an altercation and passed out through it in the fight," said Simmons.

Police told Rogers' family gave their brother CPR after he knocked him down. When first responder arrived they tried to save him, but it was too late.

"We don't know how, what started it, and why it happened," said Simmons.

His sisters are looking for answers in hopes to get the truth and closure.

"Whatever that video shows that happened, I want to see it. The true raw video. Whatever happened, happened. It's not going to bring my brother back," said Light.

While Light and Simmons are heartbroken that their brother isn't with them physically, they hope he's now at peace.

"I don't like the way my brother had to pass but his spirit is free, he's free," said Light.

His sisters are hoping that anyone with information or video will come forward. The Medical Examiner's Office says they cannot determine a cause of death until toxicology results come back. The man who was walking his dog has not been charged. 

Share this article:
Save with