Two Babies Die in Two Years After Co-Sleeping at the Same Milwaukee Residence
Two babies have died after co-sleeping at a home on the 3700 block of North 15th Street in the past two years, according to reports by the Milwaukee Medical Examiner.
A 2-month-old infant died on October 16, 2014 and a 12-month-old died on Tuesday at the address.
In 2014, the mother and infant were asleep in the bed when the grandmother laid down on the bed. The grandmother told police she did not know the baby was in the bed. When the mother awoke, the grandmother was on top of the infant. There was a Graco Pack N Play in the bedroom consumed with clothing, toys and other personal items of the infant.
In 2016, a 12-month-old was sleeping with her father and his girlfriend on an air mattress. The baby’s parents had joint custody of the baby and she had been staying with her father the last few days.
The mother of infant who died in 2014 lived in the home and was the 12-month-old’s aunt.
The girlfriend told police to keep the residence warm they kept the oven set to 450 degrees and the oven door open. Police noted a smell and asked WE Energies to test for CO levels, which came back at normal levels.
According to the report, the baby was congested and wheezing prior to being placed on an air mattress she shared with two adults. There were, also, concerns the baby had asthma and bronchitis.
The death has been ruled undetermined in the 2016 case.