Martice Fuller Trial Day 3: Cousin dumped handgun in Racine sewer

BRISTOL, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Martice Fuller's cousin told jurors Wednesday he threw a gun into a Racine sewer following the shooting of Kaylie Juga in May 2019.

Fuller is on trial for killing Juga and attempting to kill her mother.

Fuller's cousin, Dontrell Seymour, said they drove from Kenosha to Racine after the shooting. He said they saw Fuller's face on the news that afternoon, and while walking to another family member's house, Fuller handed him a gun wrapped in a diaper.

"Who handed you something?" asked Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley.

"Martice," responded Dontrell Seymour.

"And what did the defendant, Martice, hand you?" asked Gravely.

"The weapon," said Seymour.

"The weapon?" asked Graveley.

"The gun," said Seymour.

Seymour told jurors Martice Fuller got ahold of him around 3:15 the day Kaylie Juga was shot.

"Did you tell law enforcement the defendant told you he had done something and she gone?" asked Graveley.

"Yeah," said Seymour.

Seymour said they traveled to Racine, to his mom's house. That's where they saw Fuller's face on the news. They then walked to another family member's home and that's where Fuller handed him the gun.

"He suggested me, and I threw it in there, I didn't want to have it, so I threw it in there," said Seymour.

Seymour said he initially lied to police, but eventually led them to the sewer where he threw the gun.

"I was scared and I knew I was going to have to tell them anyway," said Seymour.

A state firearms technician test fired the gun and said the bullets and case markings matched those recovered at the crime scene and from Kaylie and Stephanie Juga's gunshot wounds.

"This cartridge case was fired in the submitted firearm," said Wisconsin Crime Lab Firearms Technician Heather Williams.

A DNA technician said she didn't get any DNA match for Fuller on the gun. She explained the waterlogged diaper likely kept any DNA from staying on the gun.

Defense attorneys pointed out to the jury Seymour lied to the police multiple times.

They also made sure the jury understood no DNA was recovered from the gun and an unfired bullet found near the scene.

Fuller has pleaded not guilty to all the charges against him.

Share this article: