UPDATE: One Dead, Police Officer Injured After Hostage Situation in Neenah

Neenah, WI - On December 5 at 8:56 AM Neenah Police Department was dispatched to the Eagle Nation Cycle Shop at 206 Main St. for the report of a person who was causing a disturbance. The initial information also indicated that the male subject fired at least one shot from a firearm. There were also reports that he had taken hostages.

Upon arrival, officers secured the area and additional resources were requested from other agencies. About 80 police officers from surrounding agencies responded.

At about 9:22 AM Neenah police received specific information that hostages were in immediate danger of being killed. Officers attempted entry into the building to rescue the hostages and were met with gunfire.  

One male Neenah officer was shot by someone inside the business. The officer was struck in his ballistic helmet which prevented the shot from being potentially fatal. 

The officers were able to exit the building and the wounded officer received medical attention. He was eventually transported to Theda Clark Hospital where he was treated and released.

A short time later, a male subject exited the business with a firearm. This subject did not comply with officers’ instructions to drop the firearm and was subsequently shot at by one or more officers on scene. Police do not know if he was also shot at by the subject inside the business as well.

That subject was transported to the hospital and later died from his injuries. Police say the male subject who died was not the same armed person who created the initial disturbance and reportedly fired one or more shots inside of the business.

Neenah Police Department’s hostage negotiation team was able to establish phone contact with the hostage-taker at the business. They continued negotiations for the next several hours, and during that time hostages were released unharmed.

Just after 1:00 PM the male subject who is believed to have fired the initial shots agreed to exit the business and surrender. He was taken into custody without incident. 

The officer-involved shooting will be investigated by the Wisconsin Department of Justice, Division of Criminal Investigation. 

Police say there is no longer a threat to the community. At one point, police were asking everyone to stay at least one quarter mile away from the business and told residents to shelter in place away from windows. Homes and businesses in the immediate area were evacuated.

Share this article: