Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

UPDATE: 99-Year-Old Woman Dies of Injuries Suffered in Fire

A 99-year-old Milwaukee woman severely injured in  a fire at her residence last Friday, has died.  The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner says Janelle Byrum, died March 7 at Columbia St. Mary’s Hospital Burn Unit.  She died from burns  and smoke inhalation that she suffered in the fire at her residence near 26th and Locust on March 4.

When the fire was discovered, neighbors were able to pull the elderly woman out of the house, but they were not aware that another person was still in the home.   The body of Billy Bowen, Byrum’s grandson, was discovered in the debris of the home the next day after family members reported to police they had not heard from Billy since the fire.

The fire department said crews had gone through the second floor before leaving the fire scene, but had not seen the body of Billy.   His body was found under debris in the southeast corner of the house.  A cast was noted on his right arm, and his upper body was charred. Aside from fire related injury no other trauma was noted by the Medical Examiner. 

The house fire had originated from the stove.  Family members had told the fire department they had removed the handles from the stove to keep the grandmother from cooking, but one of the burners was found turned on.

Share this article: