Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Riots cause unrest, mass destruction in Baltimore

The governor of Maryland has issued a state of emergency as rioters tear apart the city of Baltimore. Police have arrested more than two dozen people for the violent clashes.

As of 10 p.m. local time, crews were battling at least four fires. The governor has deployed 1,500 national guard members to help local authorities gain control of a situation that has spiraled into mass destruction.

War erupted in the streets of Baltimore Monday afternoon.

\"A group of outrageous criminals attacked our officers,\" said Baltimore Police Cpt. Eric Kowalczyk.

Cops in riot gear tried to shield from flying rocks thrown by rioters. Some used them to attack back, but tear gas would be enough to send the crowd running.

\"We're doing what we do in these types of situations, to bring about order,\" Kowalczyk continued.

Order, amid mass chaos. Throughout the city cars were set on fire and police squads destroyed. Dramatic video shows officers chasing down one vandal on the run. They even ransacked a pharmacy, then set it on fire.

Officials said the violent clashes injured at least 15 Baltimore officers.

\"The exact circumstances that took place that led to their injuries, is something we will be able to determine at a later date,\" said Kowalczyk. \"We're going to go back and do an investigation and we will find the people responsible and we will put them in jail.\"

The unrest comes just hours after the funeral of Freddie Gray. The 25-year-old died of a spinal injury a week after Baltimore police took him into custody.

His family is not happy how the day unfolded.

\"The family was very clear that this was a day of sacred closure in the funeral,\" said Rev. Jamal Bryant of Empowerment Temple. \"So for us to come out of the burial and walk into this, is absolutely inexcusable.\"

The U.S. Department of Justice will continue its investigation into Gray's death and is sending two top officials to quell the riots in Baltimore.

In the meantime, the city's schools are closed Tuesday and the mayor has imposed a 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. curfew that also begins Tuesday, lasting for one week.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?


Post a comment
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?