Kenosha County boy struck by lawnmower debris moved out of ICU

NOW: Kenosha County boy struck by lawnmower debris moved out of ICU

NEXT:

KENOSHA COUNTY, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A Kenosha County boy is slowly recovering after he was struck by lawnmower debris. Six-year-old Alex Hook is out of the Intensive Care Unit (ICU). 

On Sept. 10, Hook was hit in the back of the head by a piece of rebar during recess at school.

"You don't expect to pull up and see your son bleeding from the head having seizures," said Michelle Koertgen, Hook's aunt. 

A fractured skull, brain bleeding and a bone had to be removed from Hook's head. He currently has a drain tube on the left side of his head but as of Wednesday morning, Sept. 22, doctors say the right side is now leaking. 

"It seems right now he's going to have another surgical procedure," said Koertgen. 

Hook's story has gone viral. Strangers are donating money and sending prayers. 

The Kenosha Piggly Wiggly grocery stores now have a way you can donate. 

You can round up your bill at the register until Oct. 16.

"I put it on Facebook, I believe it was at 8 p.m. last night, we had already gotten donations between 8-9 when we closed, the other store as well and this morning its been an outpouring of people," said Brenda Lois, store manager of Stinebrink's Kenosha Piggly Wiggly. 

The family is continuing to post updates on Hook's progress everyday. 

Read the latest update below: 


Share this article:
 
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?