Kenosha council to vote on emergency resolution based on DA decision in Jacob Blake shooting case

NOW: Kenosha council to vote on emergency resolution based on DA decision in Jacob Blake shooting case

NEXT:

KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Kenosha is a city in waiting.

A charging decision in the Jacob Blake shooting case could come at any time.

Barricades are now around the county courthouse, and the National Guard has been mobilized.

Jacob Blake’s family said they will march until justice is served.

“We don’t care about the weather. We’re not settling,” Blake’s uncle, Justin Blake, said.

His uncle criticized Kenosha officials for lack of transparency since the August shooting and, in his opinion, a delay in justice.

“It automatically feels like the government played a part in perpetuating systemic racism because if this was just it would have been some months ago. They stretched it out as far as they could to placate to those in power,” said Justin Blake.

Brendan Matthews is the lawyer for Officer Rusten Sheskey.

He told CNN his client shot Blake fearing he would kidnap the children in the vehicle at the scene.

On Monday, Jan. 4, common council members will vote on a resolution to allow the mayor to declare an emergency after the DA’s announcement.

Tenth district alderman Anthony Kennedy says a lot of trust will be needed in this community.

“I’m fine with protests and demonstrations. I’m fine with people wanting to exercise their constitutional right. I’m not fine with people coming to my town and killing people for ideological reasons,” said Kennedy.

And as both city leaders and residents call for resolve, local activists are encouraging people to use their voices and stay peaceful.

“You have a right to come out here and be upset and angry but we’re just calling for people not to harm one another, harm businesses and properties. That’s not the way to solve this,” Tanya McLean, executive director of Leaders of Kenosha, said.

The district attorney will announce if any charges will be filed against Officer Sheskey.

Officials expect the decision within the next two weeks.

Share this article:
 
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?