Dog Owners Being Warned About Some Peanut Butters
Posted: Nov 13, 2015 5:11 PM CDT
The Pet Poison Hotline is warning dog owners that some peanut butters are being made with xylitol which is know to cause hypoglycemia and hepatic necrosis.
Hepatic Necrosis causes liver failure, and hypoglycemia causes low blood sugar.
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener.
Dogs that ingest this can experience a variety of serious and unanticipated clinical signs.
In 2015, 2800 dogs were treated for consumption of xylitol in products, according to the Pet Poison Hotline.
This has increased significantly from 2009 when there were only 300 cases.
Pet owners should look for and avoid products with the words xylitol, sugar free, no sugar added, sugar alcohol and natural sweetener.
Hypoglycemia typically evident within 1-2 hours of ingestion but can be delayed to 12 hours.
Immediate gastric decontamination is recommended.
Pet Poison Hotline is 800-213-6680 or visit www.petpoisonhelpline.com
Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!