Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Update: No explosive devices found after bomb threat made at Franklin Walmart

Update: No explosive devices found after bomb threat made at Franklin Walmart

NEXT:

Updated 1:40 p.m. on August 11, 2019

FRANKLIN, Wis. (CBS 58) -- No explosive devices were found after a bomb threat was made at the Walmart in Franklin.

Around 9:30 a.m. on Sunday, Franklin Police received a phone call from the store manager that they had discovered an indication that an explosive device may have been in the building.

Walmart shopper Cheryl Weasler described it as surreal. 

"None of the employees would say anything and none of the other shoppers seemed to know anything," said Weasler. 

Weasler is aware of threats happening around the country, but never thought she would be in a situation where her life could have been in jeopardy.

"Right after 9:30 this morning a cashier came up to me and my wife and said we needed to evacuate the store so we walked out, we had our cart full of stuff ready to check out," said Weasler. 

Reports show at least eight Walmart locations around the United States have gotten threats over the past week after two deadly shootings happened earlier this month, one of them at a Walmart in El Paso, Texas.

"It's a little bit scary I mean you hear about things like that fairly often it seems lately," said Weasler. "We just wanted to get out of the building as soon as possible." 

Dozens of workers sat outside of the store waiting for permission from law enforcement to come back in.

Weasler said for hours no one knew what was happening.

"We saw a a regular black and white police car from Franklin and then two sheriff's cars and a K-9. We saw a K-9 go out and go in the store," Weasler says. 

After nearly three hours Walmart employees were seen entering back into the building.

The store was safely evacuated and checked by Franklin Police with the help of the Milwaukee Police Department and the Explosive Detection K9's from the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department

No explosive devices were found.

The store has since reopened for business.

The investigation remains ongoing.

Walmart representatives sent CBS 58 this statement: 

"What happened in our store today is troubling. We take this seriously and cooperated with police as they evacuated the store and then confirmed that the bomb threat was a hoax. We’re open again for business and apologize for any inconvenience this caused our customers. We are working with law enforcement as they look for those responsible."

Stay with CBS 58 News for more information on this developing story. 

------

Update 11:30 a.m. on August 11, 2019

FRANKLIN, Wis. (CBS 58) -- The Walmart on 27th Street in Franklin was evacuated on Sunday morning.

Police are still on scene blocking each of the entrances into the store.

Numerous agencies, including Oak Creek and Franklin, are also on scene.

A K9 Unit was also seen leaving the building around 11:30 a.m.

Those who pulled into the parking lot after the evacuation were told that nobody is allowed inside. 

More than a dozen employees are still waiting outside.

At least eight Walmart locations throughout the United States have received threats over the past week after deadly shootings at two stores in recent weeks, law enforcement agencies told CNN.

There is no word yet, however, on why the Franklin location was evacuated. 

Franklin Police said they will issue more information once the building has been cleared.

CBS 58 News has reached out to Walmart for comment but has not yet heard back.

Share this article:
Save with
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close

0 Comments

Post a comment
Be the first to leave a comment!
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?