Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Two Taken to Hospital after Discarded "Smoking Material" Starts Fire

On Sunday April 10 at 2:51 AM, Fond du Lac Fire Rescue responded to 29-31 N. National Avenue for a fire, according to a release from the department. Upon arrival, fire crews found a fire on the rear of the second floor deck which extended inside the structure. 

Both residents who were home at the time of the fire were able to evacuate without incident. The fire was quickly extinguished but not before it caused some structural damage and moderate smoke damage throughout the residence. 

One resident was taken by paramedics to a local hospital for evaluation. Another resident was being transported to the hospital by a family member.  

There were working smoke alarms in the residence. The cause of the fire appears to have been "improperly discarded smoking materials." 

“We continue to see fires relating to improperly discarded smoking materials left on combustible decking”, said fire chief Peter O’Leary. “Smokers are urged to make sure all smoking materials are extinguished before leaving the area. Fortunately this fire was discovered before it was too late. ”

Alliant Energy was called to the scene to secure gas and electrical service. The American Red Cross also responded to assisted the displaced residents. The cause of the fire appears to have been improperly discarded smoking materials. 

The building is inhabitable until City Building Officials can evaluate the building. 

Share this article: