Milwaukee Police seek Najee Harmon; ATF offers reward for information

 Milwaukee Police moved their search for a man who opened fire on police earlier in the day from the area of 60th and Good Hope to the city's northside Friday night, but with no success.

Najee Harmon,20, was formally identified by Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn and called armed and dangerous.

The ATF is offering a $5000 reward for information leading to arrest and conviction of Najee Harmon.

Several streets and alleys from 11th & Concordia to 12th and Keefe were blocked off.

Police thought Harmon was inside one home in particular. After trying to get the people inside to come out, tactical units deployed gas and moved inside.

Harmon was not there. A car used in a robbery in Milwaukee earlier in the month was found on the scene.

It was around 9 a.m. that a veteran detective was with another plain clothes detective and a uniformed officer following up on a lead in a burglary from Brown Deer.

They stopped the suspect, described as having a distinctive long pony tail, in a vehicle near an apartment complex near 60th and Good Hope.

Investigators say the suspect fired multiple rounds. One of the officers returned fire, but the suspect ran off.

The officer was taken by his fellow officer to the hospital.

He was said to be talking after being wounded, but began to describe that he was increasingly feeling the effects of the wound.

After surgery, the 52 year old was listed in serious but stable condition.

Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn made several public pleas for the public's help in reporting anything suspicious.

Around 4 p.m. the search near the apartment building and surrounding neighborhood was called off.

The chief said they had identified the suspect, a man with prior police contact, but would not be releasing his photo so as not to hinder potential witness identification once he was apprehended.

Harmon has a conviction from back in 2013. The formal charge listed in court records as theft-movable property from person/corpse. 

Police Chief Flynn said they held off on releasing the suspect's identity until after the northside search so as not to hamper the investigation.

\"We didn't want to name him initially because it was important for us to have an opportunity to conduct photo arrays with witnesses,\" explained Flynn. \"Once those photo arrays were complete and witnesses identifies him we then thought it would not damage the investigation to share the photo with the public \"

Share this article: