Man who led police on chase that killed MPD Officer Irvine sentenced

NOW: Man who led police on chase that killed MPD Officer Irvine sentenced

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) --- A man who led Milwaukee Police on a chase that killed a young officer will spend 30 years in prison.

Ladell Harrison was speeding and driving recklessly when Officer Charles Irvine Jr. and his partner began pursuing him.

Irvine's partner lost control of the squad and it crashed near 76th and Silver Spring.

The 23-year-old Irvine was killed. 

Harrison pleaded guilty to six of the 12 charges against him.

"A mother had to say goodbye to her son. A sister became an only child," said Chelsea Gonzales, clearly choked up.

She read that statement with Ladell Harrison just feet from her. Gonzales said Charles Irvine, or Chuckie as she called him, was not only her little brother but her best friend.

The judge says she received 25 pages worth of victim impact statements for Irvine. The officer's mother also spoke. The prosecutor read a statement from Irvine's girlfriend. All of them asked for the maximum sentence.

Ladell Harrison didn't have a criminal record before the crash on June 7th, 2018. He plead guilty to multiple drug charges, and fleeing from officers, causing Irvine's death. The prosecutor said Harrison sold heroin and fentanyl to an undercover informant months before the chase and crash.

Never before seen dash cam video played for the judge today. It shows Harrison's car take off, weave in and out of traffic, and accelerate from speeds of 30 miles per hour to more than 95 miles per hour.

The video was stopped before the crash happened at close to 100 miles per hour. A loaded gun and Harrison's unbuckled 5-year-old son were in the car.

"I survived but not without injuries," said Matthew Schulze, Irvine's partner in the car that day.

Schulze told the judge he's still dealing with injuries and isn't cleared to work yet. He had one surgery and may need another. Schulze said Irvine was "good, honest, hardworking... reliable and considerate" and that Irvine was the polar opposite of Harrison. He also asked Harrison be given a maximum sentence.

Harrison originally told police he didn't think it was in their policy to pursue. During sentencing, he told the judge he didn't plan to flee but realizes it was a poor choice. While he was not arrested easily, once he was in custody, Harrison confessed.

"I pray and hope that anyone that's impacted by this unfortunate incident, please take my confession within the depths of your hearts. Your honor, with all that has been done and said, I'm now pleading for mercy of this court and my life, please," said Harrison to the judge at sentencing.

The defense asked for a 15 year sentence.

Share this article: