Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Man taken to hospital for smoke inhalation after possible de-humidifier fire in Washington County

WASHINGTON COUNTY (CBS 58) -- At 2:23 a.m. early Thursday morning the Washington County Sheriff’s Office 911 Center received a call from a 60-year-old Addison woman from Addison that said her home in the 6100 block of W. Linden Drive was filling with smoke. 

The husband and wife woke up due to the smoke alarms going off and were able to get out of the house safely. Before firefighters got there the 60-year-old husband re-entered the house several times to get stuff. The man was later taken to St. Joseph's Hospital for smoke inhalation and was expected to be released.

Fire officials determined that the fire originated in the basement near a de-humidifier. Preliminary estimates are that the structure sustained $40,000 in smoke and water damage.

The subsequent investigation revealed the dehumidifier was a make and model that may have been subject to either a stop sale notice from the manufacturer or possibly a recall. The fire remains under investigation.

Share this article: