Known Racine gang member arrested after opening fire on group in alley, killing one

NOW: Known Racine gang member arrested after opening fire on group in alley, killing one


Rytrell Earl, 17-years-old, from Racine is now facing numerous charges following the shooting death of Deshaun Jordan, a 20-year-old Racine man.

Earl faces one count of First Degree Intentional Homicide and several counts of Attempted First Degree Intentional Homicide. 

Officers received a shots fired call in the 1600 block of Phillips Ave on August 6th. Upon arrival, they located the victim in an alley, suffering from a gunshot wound to the head. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to the criminal complaint, Jordan and 4 friends had just went to a fish fry and had all been walking down the alley when they were met by a barrage of gunfire. One of the victims was struck in the elbow and grazed by another bullet in the stomach area. They all said they ran and that they believed Jordan ran as well. They were unaware that he had been shot. 

Investigators were able to obtain surveillance video showing a White Impala. They recognized it as a vehicle that a known Northside for Life gang member, Rytrell Earl, was known to operate. 

Officers went to an address on Memorial Drive where they knew the suspect, Earl, was known to be. He was located inside. Officers searched Earl's phone and located a message in which he asked someone if they had 9 mm ammunition because he was going out. Officers located 9mm casings near Jordan's body following the shooting. 

Earl told police that he and his associates pulled into an alley near 16th and Phillips which is Dirty P. rival gang territory. According to Earl, they saw a group of six to seven males walking their way. He told police he believed one of the males had a gun so his associate and him began to fire at the group. 

Upon transport to Racine County Jail, Earl asked police if he could identify the person that was killed. Police informed him that the man killed was not a gang member. 

Earl is being held on a $2,000,000 bail. 

Share this article: