Fiserv Forum awarded LEED Silver Certification for environmentally friendly initiatives
MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) – Fiserv Forum has been awarded a LEED Silver Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council. The new arena received an A+ rating and is the first sports and entertainment venue in Wisconsin to earn LEED Silver Certification.
“We take to heart our role as caretakers of the community, and initiatives like bird-friendly windows, the elimination of plastic straws, and low-flow toilets demonstrate our commitment to the environment and the future of Milwaukee," said Fiserv Forum and Bucks President Peter Feigin.
Specific initiatives that contributed toward Fiserv Forum’s certification include:
- The 5th Street Parking Structure electric vehicle charging stations and carpool spaces.
- Plants native to this region were selected to reduce outdoor water consumption as they require less water to stay healthy.
- Low-flow toilets help reduce arena water use by more than 30 percent.
- Heat recovery technology and other efficient design practices reduce energy use by 12 percent.
- All food and drink containers are compostable, and no plastic straws are distributed.
- All construction materials were selected to promote healthy air quality by reducing harmful emissions.
- Environmentally-friendly cleaning products put less stress on the local water system and promote a healthy ecosystem.