Criminals target Milwaukee's East Side in eight overnight robberies
MILWAUKEE-- Milwaukee police are investigating a crime spree targeting victims downtown and on the lower east side.
The department says there were eight overnight robberies on Milwaukee’s East Side.
In each robbery, a group of suspects approached the victim or victims and as they were walking or parking their cars and demanded valuables while threatening the victims with a gun or blunt object.
The robberies happened at:
• 700 block of E. Lyon Street at 10:50 p.m.
• 2300 block of N. Cambridge Avenue at 11:10 p.m.
• 1800 block of N. Humboldt Avenue at 11:15 p.m.
• 900 block of E. Pleasant Street at 11:25 p.m.
• 1700 block of N. Pulaski Street at 11:30 p.m.
• 1000 block of E. Knapp Street at 12:30 a.m. – victim’s car also taken
• 3200 block of N. Bartlett Avenue at 1:00 a.m.
• 3100 block of N. Bartlett Avenue at 1:25 a.m. – gunshots also fired at one victim, victim was not struck.
Some East Side residents say they're not surprised by the activity.
\"I think a better police presence overall would be good because the kids are kind of running around in these groups which is a little frightening,\" said Peggy Decair.
\"It's not much different than a lot of other big cities,\" said Paul Niedzwiecki. \"I hate to say that, which is a sad reflection on our society, but that's what's happening.
Police continue to investigate whether these robberies are linked to other recent robberies.
The suspects remain at large.