Apartment complex evacuated due to carbon monoxide

MILWAUKEE -- People were forced from their apartment this morning after carbon monoxide filled the building.

The call came in around 5:30 to the Milwaukee Fire Department.

There's a history of violations at this apartment complex.  Documents show problems with carbon monoxide detectors, fire alarms, fire exits, among other problems. 

WE Energies says the carbon monoxide leak came from a faulty furnace.  One tenant said the furnace has been a constant problem.  The fire department says there were high levels of carbon monoxide in the building.

\"Just get out. It ain't the first time,\" Vincent Blakemore said.  \"The other time was in the winter time at about 2:00 o'clock in the morning, we had to evacuate again, same thing so.  Fix the problem, fix the problem. Especially when you got good tenants that pay bills, fix the problem. It's a nice building, just fix the problem.\"

Tenants went back in after about an hour.

Share this article: