Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

UPDATE: Nearly 130 Reported to Hospital After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Wedding

MADISON, Wis. -(WISC 3000) Nearly 130 people reported to Madison-area hospitals for carbon monoxide poisoning after a carbon monoxide leak at a wedding on Madison’s east side last Saturday night, officials said.

The Wisconsin Department of Human Services released Friday the updated number of people who sought treatment after the incident. It was originally reported that dozens were taken to hospitals.

Crews were originally called to Salon Centinela at 5018 Blazing Star Drive around 11:40 p.m. after someone fainted during a wedding that was being held at the indoor soccer club, according to a release.

As paramedics were helping the person, they were approached by other guests concerned about an odor in the building and a generator running indoors, officials said. Additional guests also started reporting that they weren’t feeling well.

Handheld air monitors detected elevated carbon monoxide levels, according to the release.

Madison fire officials said the initial report didn't include patients who were taken by ambulances from other communities and those who drove themselves to the hospital.

The generator supplying power to the live band was moved outside and firefighters evacuated the building, which was full of approximately 300 wedding guests, officials said.

A Madison Metro bus was called to provide medical staging for wedding guests feeling ill, and UW Hospital East set up a triage area in their Emergency Room bay to assist with the extra patients, according to the release. Patients ranged from young children to older adults.

Officials said area hospitals also received walk-in patients after the incident, in addition to the patients transported by ambulance.

  • Copyright 2016 by Channel 3000. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Share this article: