Two home invasions, two months and two blocks apart

NOW: Two home invasions, two months and two blocks apart

WAUWATOSA (CBS 58) - A Milwaukee man is charged after two home invasions, two blocks apart, in just two months.

But the suspect is only being charged in one of the incidents right now.

19-year-old Kwamonte Pope faces charges of burglary and operating a motor vehicle without the owner’s consent.

According to court documents, Pope’s fingerprints were found at the scene of a home invasion back in July.

Police say someone cut through a screen at a home near 72nd and Maple Terrace in Wauwatosa in the early morning hours of July 11th.

The person stole a purse containing car keys, and drove off in a 2013 Honda Accord.

The crime was similar to one that occurred just two blocks away on Maple Terrace back in May.

In that case, someone cut through a screen and entered a home in the early morning hours of May 9th, stole an iPad and car keys, and drove off in a 2013 Dodge Journey.

“It was scary because it had to have happened when we were all in the house, including the kids,” said Kevin Hughes, who owns the home.

Hughes still has a hole in his screen.

“The screen had been, it was kind of flapping in the wind, and then realized too that the door was unlocked and knew that the car had been stolen at that time,” said Hughes.

The Dodge was totaled two days later after Milwaukee police spotted it and gave chase.

Three men inside, including Pope, were taken into custody.

Hughes didn’t know that another similar home invasion happened near his home, possibly involving Pope, until CBS 58 knocked on his door.

After the robbery at his home, why was Pope out of jail?

“We received a notification that they were not able to prove that the house break in and the car theft were for sure directly related, so they weren’t able to make a case against the person,” said Hughes, “so I don’t know that he spent any time in jail.”

According to online court records, one of the people arrested with Pope after the May home invasion was Corey Love.

He was initially charged, but those charges were dropped.

We did reach out to the Milwaukee County DA late Tuesday, they say they have not received a referral from law enforcent.

Share this article: