Terry Jackson, accused of Brittany Booker murder, captured by US Marshals in Chicago

NOW: Terry Jackson, accused of Brittany Booker murder, captured by US Marshals in Chicago

CHICAGO, Ill. (CBS 58) -- After nearly a month on the run, authorities have captured Terry "Scooter Man" Jackson, who is accused of murdering Racine mother of six Brittany Booker.

Officials say that on the morning of Sunday, May 22, Jackson was located and seen through a window and said to be holding a firearm. After a brief standoff and negotiations, Jackson surrendered without incident. A firearm was recovered from the scene.

Jackson is alleged to have initially assaulted two women in Racine using a claw hammer on Feb., 27, 2022. 

Then, on April 24, 2022, Jackson is alleged to have returned to Racine, where he entered the home of one of his original victims from the Feb. 27 attack.

According to reports, Jackson assaulted the victim in her home with her children present and forcefully took her into her vehicle. The victim was later located by the Racine Police Department inside the vehicle deceased from a single gunshot wound to the head. Jackson was charged with the homicide of Brittany Booker.

The fugitive investigation for Jackson spanned five states: Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, Texas and Arizona, before ultimately returning to Chicago, Illinois, where Jackson was located and arrested this morning, on May 22. The arrest operation was conducted this morning in Chicago, by members of the United States Marshals Service Great Lakes Regional Fugitive Task Force-Chicago Office.

"He was so violent in the offenses that he committed. So as long as we don't have a person that's been willing to engage in that kind of violent activity in our streets, we're all better off for it," said Racine's Police Chief, Maurice Robinson.

Robinson said authorities were able to locate Jackson on Sunday because they received a tip on the tip line of where he could be found.

"The citizenry took us to heart and realized it was in everybody's best interest for us to apprehend him," Robinson said.

Robinson also confirmed that during an extensive interview with Jackson after his arrest, he offered a confession.

The case is still in the hands of U.S. Marshals.

Jackson's arrest on Sunday brought a sigh of relief to the family of 30-year-old Booker, almost one month since she was murdered at her home.

"It's like this guy became a ghost. It's like he just dropped off the face of the Earth for a while. I don't see how this family, anybody could hide this man out knowing what he did," Booker's father, Leonard Larry, told CBS 58. 

Despite Sunday's good news, Larry said losing Booker is still heartbreaking to deal with. He said family members are now packing up her former home, and rallying around Booker's six children.

"Just trying to talk to them, comfort them a little bit," Larry said, "Now I gotta pick up the pieces."

Larry believes they may not have received justice for Booker without all the community support they received.

"Showing my daughter love, coming out to the events, whatever it may be, we thank you. We got him. All of us," Larry said.

Chief Robinson says Jackson will be extradited from Chicago to Wisconsin. There's not yet a timeline for when that could happen.

Share this article: