Start the New Year without any fear
The time has come to make a promise for the New Year, your New Year’s resolution! The resolution you commit to is different for everyone, but shares one common goal, to improve life in the coming year.
Instead of swearing off sugar or joining a gym, in 2020, we would like to challenge you to make safety your resolution for the year. While this is not the most tangible resolution you can make, the peace of mind you will have knowing that you and your loved ones are safe and secure this year is well worth the effort.
Here are some excellent safety tips and guidelines that the personal injury attorneys at Hupy and Abraham consider great New Year’s resolutions in 2020.
Fire, Gas & Electrical Safety
- Update your smoke alarms and fire extinguishers. Smoke alarms and fire extinguishers should be inspected regularly. The new year is the perfect time to make sure batteries are replaced, and each one is in working order and new ones are purchased if need be.
- Refresh and practice your family fire escape plan.
- Go around your home and place your hand on each of the electrical outlets. If they are warm, call an electrician and have them professionally inspected immediately.
- Place an escape ladder for any window or balcony that is above ground level.
- Have an adequate number of working flashlights located around the house.
- Check all electrical sources, cords and wiring to ensure none are damaged and need repairs.
- Ensure that gas and electrical appliances are inspected per the manufacturer recommendation.
General Home Safety
- Set your water heater to a maximum of 120 degrees to prevent burns.
- Post emergency numbers in an easily accessible place.
- Store all chemicals properly and keep out of reach of children.
- Walk around both the interior and exterior of your home looking for anything that is broken or in need of repair. Make a list and begin working on repairs starting with the ones that pose the greatest safety risk.
- Check all TV wall mounts, dressers and large furniture are secured to the wall so they don’t pose a threat of tipping over on a child.
- Declutter rooms and hallways to ensure no obstacles are tripping hazards.
- Check your first-aid kit to make sure it is up to date with supplies.
- Review and appropriately update your homeowner, life and health insurance policies in case of a serious accident.
- Discuss and practice with your family, especially young children, your plan of action in any emergency situation.
- Assemble an emergency kit for your car.
- Check that the following are in safe operating condition:
- Windshield wiper fluid.
- Heater and defroster.
- Wiper blades and antifreeze level.
- A nearly full tank of gas.
- Exhaust system.
- Tire tread.
- Battery and breaks.
As 2020 begins, your resolution to stop eating carbs or to exercise more may not stick, but safety can! We want the year to bring you each safety, health, happiness and prosperity. Prevention is key to safety and these are great guidelines to get your new year going in the right direction.
Accidents still do happen despite our best efforts. If and when they do, the experienced personal injury attorneys at Hupy and Abraham are prepared to help you get the compensation you deserve, so you can get back to your life. If you were injured in an accident, please contact Hupy and Abraham at 800-800-5678 or start a live chat anytime at Hupy.com.