Sheboygan man suing after getting Cyclospora from Del Monte vegetable tray
SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) -- The first lawsuit was filed Friday against Del Monte Fresh Produce on behalf of Aaron Ringmeier who was infected with Cyclospora after eating from a Del Monte Fresh Produce vegetable tray.
On May 26, Ringmerier purchased a Del Monte Fresh Produce vegetable tray from Kwik Trip in Manitowoc. On June 6, Mr. Ringmerier began experiencing symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps, and fatigue. Two weeks later, he sought medical attention at Aurora Medical Center. Due to the severity of his illness, Mr. Ringmerier continued treatment until July 15.
A stool sample tested positive for Cyclospora. The Wisconsin Department of Health linked Mr. Ringmerier's Cyclospora infection to the Del Monte Cyclospora outbreak.
Cyclospora is a parasite composed of one cell, too small to be seen without a microscope. The first Cyclospora outbreak in North America occurred in 1990 in contaminated water. Recently, Cyclospora outbreaks have been associated with imported fresh fruit and vegetables.