Revised Milwaukee health order allowing 50-percent capacity for bars, restaurants with approved plan now in effect
Updated: 10:52 p.m. on Dec. 3, 2020
MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- Thursday, Dec. 3, Milwaukee bars and restaurants started following new capacity restrictions because of high COVID-19 cases.
Under the new order, all bars and restaurants with approved safety plans will only be allowed to have up to a 50 percent capacity.
Bars and restaurants without an approved safety plan can only have up to a 25 percent capacity.
The city is also increasing fines from a $500 maximum to up to $20,000 per violation.
One restaurant owner said the restrictions will continue to hurt already struggling businesses.
“Business is tough these days and I get the restriction part. I get that we’re in the middle of a pandemic, but I’d also like to see government also focus on getting us the money and relief for my industry to survive. You know you can put all the restrictions you want on it but to get to the other side passed winter I don’t see a lot of these places making it anyways,” Carnevor Premier Steakhouse Co-Owner Omar Shaikh said.
The new order will revert back to the previous one on Jan. 15, 2021.
Published: 3:04 p.m. on Dec. 2, 2020
MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- Effective Dec. 3, the Milwaukee Health Department is modifying capacity rules for restaurants and bars and requiring more protocols for participation in team sports.
Under the new Order #4.3, all bars and restaurants with approved safety plans must not exceed 50% capacity. Existing capacity requirements for bars and restaurants without approved safety plans remain at 25%.
School and club team sports -- including practices, intra-squad, or outside competition -- will only be allowed with approved safety plans that include routine COVID-19 testing. Previously, an approved safety plan was not required for intra-squad activities.
The new order will automatically revert back to the previous order on Jan. 15, 2021.