Potawatomi Raises Record $1.1 Million for Charity
Potawatomi Hotel & Casino donated a record $1.17 million to 31 local children’s charities through its Heart of Canal Street program. The previous record fund-raising total was $1.09 million set in 2008. This marks the fourth straight year the program has surpassed the $1 million mark in fund raising.
Thirty of the charities received $35,821.31 which was announced during tonight’s grand finale. Twenty of those organizations were randomly selected for the program in November. They joined 10 signature charities previously selected by the Casino’s media partners in August. Potawatomi Hotel & Casino’s Charity of Choice, MKE Plays, received the first $100,000 in funding, which will be used to renovate the playground at Witkowiak Park, on the city’s near south side.
“It is especially heartwarming during this time of year – and during this frigid weather – to know that a generous gift from the Forest County Potawatomi to the community, and especially to the children of the near south side, will be bustling with laughter and fun during the warmer months for many years to come,” Alderman Murphy said. “The new and improved Witkowiak Park playground will be a valuable community and neighborhood asset for all to enjoy.”
Since its inception in 1994, the Heart of Canal Street program has made over 550 donations totaling nearly $17 million to fund children’s programs throughout southeastern Wisconsin.
“Raising a record breaking $1.1 million-plus for 31 Heart of Canal Street charities is incredible to celebrate,” said Melanie Martin, the property’s bingo director. “We can’t thank our bingo guests enough for their generosity and our employees for all of their hard work.”
The 31 organizations that received donations from Potawatomi Hotel & Casino’s Heart of Canal Street program include:
Charity of Choice
- MKE Plays, Milwaukee
- Boys and Girls Club of Greater Milwaukee—presented by Lamar Outdoor
- Food Pantry of Waukesha County—presented by WITI FOX 6
- Jewish Family Services—presented by Milwaukee Radio Alliance
- Kathy’s House—presented by iHeart Media
- Milwaukee Public Museum—presented by OnMilwaukee.com
- Northcott Neighborhood House—presented by Milwaukee Radio Group
- PEARLS for Teen Girls, Inc.—presented by Entercom Radio
- SHARP Literacy, Inc.—presented by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
- The Parenting Network—presented by Clear Channel Outdoor
- Wisconsin Humane Society—presented by Weigel Broadcasting/CBS 58
Randomly Selected Charities
- Adoption Choice, Inc., Glendale, Wis.
- American Diabetes Association- Wisconsin, Brookfield, Wis.
- Autism Society of Southeastern Wisconsin, Wauwatosa, Wis.
- Bicycle Federation of Wisconsin Educational Foundation- Wisconsin Bike Fed, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Blessings in a Backpack- Waukesha County, Oconomowoc, Wis.
- Down Syndrome Association of Wisconsin, St. Francis, Wis.
- Easterseals Southeast Wisconsin, West Allis, Wis.
- Friends of Havenwoods, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Harry & Rose Samson Family Jewish Community Center, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Keep Greater Milwaukee Beautiful, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Lutheran Social Services of Wisconsin and Upper Michigan, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Make A Difference- Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Make-A-Wish Wisconsin, Wauwatosa, Wis.
- Milwaukee Christian Center, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Milwaukee Repertory Theater, Milwaukee, Wis.
- Ozaukee Family Services, Grafton, Wis.
- Parents Place, Inc., Waukesha, Wis.
- Racine Symphony Orchestra, Racine, Wis.
- Special Spaces Wisconsin, Mequon, Wis.
- Wisconsin Art Education Association, Milwaukee, Wis.