Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Popular Children's Shoe May Have Caused Fire

Payless is pulling some children's shoes from store shelves after a scary incident in Texas.

A mom thinks the battery in her toddler's light up shoes started a fire in their car.

The backseat of their car is charred. The family believes their son's favorite Jake and the Neverland Pirates shoes, and the lithium battery that powers them, are to blame.

Payless shoes issued a statement saying, "First and foremost, safety is always a top priority at Payless and we take the claim made by the customer seriously. We have contacted the family, and will work with them and local authorities to better understand the circumstances of the car fire, and what may have caused it."

The fire marshal's office is investigating.

Share this article: