Milwaukee Irish Fest Announces Entertainment Lineup
Milwaukee Irish Fest, the world’s largest celebration of Celtic music and culture, announces the festival’s 2016 entertainment lineup. This year’s festival, August 18 – 21, will feature the Celtic World Showcase, bringing musicians from six Celtic nations who will be performing in their native languages to Milwaukee.
“We travel the world in search of the best and brightest in Celtic music and culture,” said Patrick Boyle, executive director of Milwaukee Irish Fest. “We’ve had the great opportunity to connect with many amazing performers and look forward to welcoming them to Milwaukee Irish Fest.”
This year’s festival will feature the Celtic World Showcase, highlighting artists who continue centuries-old musical traditions while shaping modern global music.
It is estimated that there are over 100 million people across the world who claim they have descended from the Celts, the Iron Age people who inhabited large areas of Western Europe. Sharing languages and cultural similarities, the folk and traditional music of these Celts evolved over time and became integral to their communities. The music of these territories has traveled around the globe, and Milwaukee Irish Fest is thrilled to bring them to Milwaukee in August.
Celtic World Showcase performers will include: Barrule, Calan, Celtic Fiddle Festival, Dallahan, Dardanelles, De Barra with special guest Moyà Brennan, Myserk, Ten Strings and a Goatskin, and the Wrigley Sisters.
From international festivals to village pubs, Milwaukee Irish Fest travels the globe in search of new and exciting artists. This year the festival is excited to welcome the following acts for the first time:
- Barrule (Isle of Man) – Traditional Manx
- Calan (Wales) – Traditional Welsh
- Celtic Fiddle Festival (Ireland, Brittany - France, Scotland) - Celtic Fiddlers
- The Dardanelles (Canada) – Newfoundland Traditional Music
- De Barra (Ireland) – Irish Traditional
- Donal Clancy (Ireland) – Irish Traditional
- Drowsy Lads (Ohio) – Irish Traditional
- JigJam (Ireland) – Celtgrass
- Next Generation Leahy (Canada) – Celtic
- Runa (Ireland, United States, Canada) – Irish Folk Music
- The Wrigley Sisters (Orkney Islands) – Celtic
Having caught the eyes and ears of festivalgoers in recent years, Milwaukee Irish Fest will welcome back the following emerging artists: Dallahan, Kilkennys, Socks in the Frying Pan, Ten Strings and a Goatskin, and Wild Colonial Bhoys.
Over the last 36 years, many of the bands who have performed at Milwaukee Irish Fest have developed a loyal fan base, both locally in Milwaukee as well as internationally. Returning fan favorites this year include: Gaelic Storm, Seamus Kennedy, High Kings, McPeake, Red Hot Chilli Pipers, Skerryvore, Slide, Solas, and We Banjo 3.
Special shows will include:
- Solas – All These Years 20th Anniversary Tour with special guest, Karan Casey
- Moyà Brennan – born Máire Ní Bhraonáin, also known as Máire Brennan, is an Irish folk singer, songwriter, harpist, and philanthropist. Prior to going solo in 1992 she was the lead singer of the Irish family group, Clannad.
- Trinity Irish Dance Company (TIDC) – TIDC is an American, non-profit, performing arts company that was the birthplace of progressive Irish dance. Trinity will dazzle audiences with hard-driving percussive power, lightning-fast agility, aerial grace, and the awe-inspiring precision of its dancers.