Milwaukee boxer killed in crane accident remembered as role model

NOW: Milwaukee boxer killed in crane accident remembered as role model

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- A Milwaukee man killed in a work-related incident this week will be remembered as a pillar in the Milwaukee community.

Kelvis Price volunteered at Cream City Boxing in Milwaukee where he trained young boxers, including professionals. The non-profit strives not only to teach boxers about health and nutrition but keep young men in line. Manager Kirby Lockett said Price influenced many young men to become professional boxers, challenge themselves and go to college.

“Different options than to what’s going on in the streets,” he said. “Men like KP helped build better men.”

Kelvis Price trained amateur boxer, Del Nappier. He said Price guided him in many more ways than just in the ring.

“He helped in a lot of ways, a lot of ways that now I get a chance to sit back and reflect of everything. I wish I could have just said ‘thanks’.”

Boxers and trainers said Thursday that the place just doesn’t feel right without Price. 

“It's just not same. I mean everybody loved him,” Sal Williams said.

The Milwaukee County Medical Examiner is investigating the death of Price. He was crushed while operating a crane at Russel Metals Monday, October 16 at approximately 3:00 p.m.

According to the report by the Medical Examiner, Price was lifting a large steel plate using a magnetic crane. One of the magnets failed which caused the piece of metal to fall and hit him. When responders found him he was lying on his back with the plate on top of him from the waist down.

The crane was controlled by a remote control that Kelvis wore on a strap off his shoulder. Workers could not move the plate because the remote control was under the piece of metal.

Eventually, another crane was used to push the crane out of the way and remove the piece of metal.

The man died at Froedtert Hospital on Tuesday, October 17 at 7:41 p.m. The cause of death is listed as multiple blunt force injuries. He had worked at the company for 18 years.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration is investigating the incident. The company previously received penalties from OSHA in 2014. An OSHA spokesman said it’s imperative for companies to follow standards.

“We don’t ever call them accidents because we believe they are preventable if all OSHA standards are followed,” Scott Allen said.

OSHA has six months to complete their investigation.

Share this article: