Lightning sparks fire at indoor waterpark in the Dells
Lightning is believed to have started a fire at the Chula Vista Resort in Wisconsin Dells Wednesday evening.
According to a news release from the Wisconsin Dells Police Department, a fire on the roof of the indoor waterpark building was reported at 9:45 PM. When officers arrived, they saw flames and smoke coming from the roof. Firefighters from the Kilbourn Fire Department quickly extinguished the flames. According to the news release, the fire was contained to a small area of façade above the main entrance to the building. Authorities said a witness reported a lightning strike to the building from the storms that had just passed through the area.
Management of the resort told authorities because of the very limited damage, they believe the waterpark will be open for regular business on Thursday.
No injuries were reported as a result of the fire.
Assisting the Kilbourn Fire Department were units from the Delton Fire Department, Dells/Delton EMS, Adams County Sheriff, Wisconsin Dells Street department and the Wisconsin Dells Electric and Water Utilities.