"I am just thankful:" Neighbors rescue Kenosha family from burning home

“I am just thankful: “ Neighbors rescue Kenosha family from burning home

KENOSHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A Kenosha family is safe after neighbors rescued them from their burning home early Saturday morning. 

 “I am just thankful that our neighbors risked their lives to save us," Kerrie Wolan said.

Wolan fell asleep watching TV in the basement. Her two young kids and husband were asleep upstairs when their neighbors noticed the fire next door. 

The neighbors rushed into the burning house, kicked down the door and woke up the family.

"I heard someone banging and screaming on my basement window," said Wolan. 

The neighbors got the two kids and husband out of the front door. Wolan was still trapped in the basement, she walked towards the stairs but saw the smoke pouring into the room. 

Her neighbor broke the basement window.

“They came to the basement and dragged me out, it was scary," said Wolan.

Kenosha Fire said there were no working smoke detectors inside the home. 

“We don’t want to say it’s bad for them to assist a neighbor, its actually a great thing. But he has to remember, he is taking chances that we take and are trained to take so call 911 first," said Jeffery Johnson, Battalion Chief. 

Kenosha Fire believes the fire started on the deck and spread to the home and kitchen. It's estimated there is $30,000 in damages. 

"It’s going to be a long process," said Wolan.

The family set up a GoFundMe page, if you'd like to help click here

Share this article: