Hot weather alert for pets!
Posted: Jul 17, 2015 12:47 PM CDT | Updated: Jul 17, 2015 1:46 PM CDT
Hot weather alert! This weekend will be dangerously hot for pets! Please share these tips and keep animals safe this summer.
- Do not leave your animal in the car. The inside of a car can reach 160 degrees in mere minutes.
- Take walks in the p.m. and early a.m. Any outdoor exercise should be brief and in the cooler hours.
- Never tie an animal out in the sun. Ensure access to shade and water.
- Regulate the temps inside your home. Allow access to cooler rooms.
- Watch old, overweight, and snub-nosed dogs. Also closely monitor dogs with heart or lung issues.
- Watch for signs of heatstroke. Panting, difficulty breathing, vomiting, diarrhea, confusion, rapid pulse, bright red gums and blue tongue or lips.
- Treat heat stroke immediately. Move to a cool place and lower body temperature slowly with cool (NOT icy!) water. Call your veterinarian right away for next steps.