Hoan Bridge set to close ahead of Big Bang Fireworks tonight
MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) -- In preparation for the Summerfest Big Bang Fireworks, the Milwaukee County Sheriff’s Office will be closing the I-794 northbound lanes of the Hoan Bridge Wednesday night beginning at 8:00 p.m. at Carferry Drive.
The fireworks are expected to start at 9:30 p.m. All lanes of traffic, northbound and southbound, will be closed during the fireworks and reopen following the display around 10:30 p.m.
MCSO deputies, coordinating with Milwaukee Police Department officers, will be present to make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable time. The Sheriff's Office says unruly behavior will be dealt with immediately.
Access to I-794 eastbound at the Marquette Interchange will be closed to all vehicle traffic, except buses. All traffic will be directed west to South I-43. McKinley Marina parking will be restricted to those with current season permits or those with legitimate business at the marina.
To help with traffic after the fireworks, southbound traffic on the Hoan Bridge will be open for those heading to the south side. Traffic on southbound Lincoln Memorial Drive must take westbound I-94 or head southbound over the Hoan. Westbound Michigan Street and westbound Clybourn Street will be closed to vehicle traffic after the fireworks.
Lincoln Memorial Drive will close when all lots are full, which in past years has been as early as 6:00 p.m. Be advised that deputies may need to divert traffic leaving the lakefront area to ease the expected heavy traffic flow.
See a full list of closures below:
• I 794 Eastbound thru the Marquette Interchange; all traffic will be directed West to South I-43.
• Northbound 794 Closed at Carferry; all traffic will be directed off the highway at Carferry.
• Closure from Northbound Carferry on-ramp to Northbound 794.
• Southbound I 43 North to East on the Marquette Interchange; ramp will be closed from North to East.
• Eastbound Broadway on-ramp to 794 will be closed.
• Southbound 794 Lincoln Memorial Drive on-ramp will be closed.