Crews battle accidental grain dryer fire in Mount Pleasant
Updated: 1:29 p.m. November 14, 2018
MOUNT PLEASANT, Wis. (CBS 58) -- No one was hurt during an early morning fire at a silo and grain dryer in Mount Pleasant.
Authorities say they got a call around 3:30 a.m. Wednesday from someone who saw the flames near 100th Avenue and County Road K-R.
Crews worked throughout the morning to knock down the fire.
Officials say the cold made it more challenging to fight the flames and for crews to even get to the scene. The South Shore Fire Department said because the area does not have a water supply, additional resources were needed.
"We brought a salt truck from Kenosha County to do the road and then Racine County cam in here because we're right on the border so a Racine truck came in here and spread salt all around. You can see all this water we're flowing right now; when it's so cold, when the water hits the ground it freezes almost instantly," said South Shore Fire Department Batallion Chief John Radewan.
Fire officials say the fire was accidental in nature.
Posted: 6:36 a.m. November 14, 2018
MOUNT PLEASANT, Wis. (CBS 58) – Crews are on the scene of a fire near 100th and County KR in Mount Pleasant Wednesday morning.
Several fire departments responded to the scene. Authorities say a grain dryer was on fire.
There’s no word on damage or possible injuries at this time.
This is a developing story, stay with CBS 58 on-air and online for updates.