Day after shooting, LAX works to get back to normal

(CNN) -- The impact of Friday's shooting at Los Angeles International Airport was still being felt early Saturday as investigators examined a terminal where a TSA officer was gunned down.


In a message on Twitter on Saturday morning, the airport said that from the start of the incident around 9:30 a.m. Friday through midnight, an estimated 1,550 scheduled flights with about 167,050 passengers were \"impacted.\"


That total consists of 826 scheduled departure flights with an estimated 99,200 passengers and 724 arrival flights with 67,850 passengers.


\"Please contact ur airline for flight status before coming to LAX,\" the airport said on Twitter. \"Thank you to law enforcement, airlines, agencies & traveling public for your teamwork & patience as we return your LAX to normal operations.\"


The Federal Aviation Administration announced it ordered a ground stop that ended at 3 p.m. PT (6 p.m. ET). It applied to LAX-bound flights that were departing from airports in the western United States; those aircraft were held at their departure airports, the FAA said in a statement.


On Friday morning, about 9:20 a.m. PT (12:20 p.m. ET), a gunman opened fire at a Transportation Security Administration checkpoint. One TSA officer was killed and two others were injured.


In the afternoon, the airport was letting employees back into Terminals 1 and 2, said Gina Marie Lindsey, executive director of Los Angeles World Airports.


But Terminal 3, where the incident occurred, remained closed Saturday morning, the airport said. There was \"no time frame\" of when the FBI will complete its investigation in the terminal, the airport said.


Ticket counters in Terminal 3 were open only for ticket purchases and questions, but flights will depart from other terminals, the airport said. Passengers expecting to fly out of Terminal 3 should contact their airlines for more information, Lindsey said.


Many travelers took the delays in stride. Some stuck in airplanes at LAX took to Twitter to document their delays, but the tone was largely respectful.


\"First time I have been to LA in years and have been on Tarmac for 2 hrs due to Lax shooting. Prayers go out to all victims,\" wrote @joeycorrado.


Share this article: