Darrell Brooks, suspect in Waukesha Parade attack, leaves court early after outburst

NOW: Darrell Brooks, suspect in Waukesha Parade attack, leaves court early after outburst

WAUKESHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- The man accused of driving his car through the Waukesha Christmas Parade walked out of a pre-trial hearing early on Friday, Aug. 26.

Darrell Brooks' request to leave came three hours after he caused an outburst in the courtroom.

"Don't put your hands on me," Brooks told Waukesha Sheriff deputies after he returned to the courtroom after a short break. 

Brooks ignored the deputies attempt to calm him down and said, "All of this is political. This is a show. Y'all are being told what to do, y'all are getting paid to do."

At this point, Judge Jennifer Dorow ordered a lunch break.

"I'm not going to do this with him right now. He needs to be here. He's not cooperative," Dorow said.

The outburst came after the state suggested that Brooks was not paying attention and appeared to be sleeping for a portion of the hearing.

"I don't know if he's just being disrespectful, uninterested, or if he's not feeling well, but to avoid an appellate issue in the future, I think it would be appropriate to inquire if he is capable of assisting in his own defense at this point," Waukesha County District Attorney Sue Opper said.

Brooks returned with a calm demeanor after the lunch break 

"What I need you to understand Mr. Brooks is that there can't be outbursts like that," Dorow said.

Dorow warned him that if he behaves like that again, she would have to give him warnings for contempt of court or he would have to forfeit his right to be present for the remainder of the hearing.  

"Certainly, not things I want to do. I want you here," Dorow said.

Brooks, however, did not want to be there.

The defendant requested to return to his jail cell about three hours after the hearing continued.

"Can you tell me what's going on," the judge asked Brooks.

Brooks responded, "I just want to go."

Before the disruption, Judge Jennifer Dorow denied two motions by the defense to dismiss evidence and interrogations in the case.

The defense argued that documents that were taken from Brooks' jail cell were privileged. The state disagreed.

Dorow determined it was clear that the documents were not communication between Brooks and his defense team.

The defense also filed a motion to dismiss interrogations that happened after Brooks was taken into custody. Dorow says Brooks did not invoke his right to remain silent and therefore the interviews can be used.

After Brooks left for the day, the judge, the defense and prosecution continued with discussions about jury questionnaires. 

Brooks is scheduled to return to court on Sept. 9 for a jury status hearing.

Trial is scheduled to begin on Oct. 3.

Share this article: