Cleaning your groceries to help keep you safe from COVID-19
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (ABC57) -- Officials are learning more about the coronavirus everyday.
Doctors around the country are doing their part to share their knowledge to help keep their communities safe.
One doctor, Dr. Jeffery VanWingden with Family Medicine Specialists in Grand Rapids, saw a niche of prevention not being covered yet and knew he could help.
"I want to be clear that the risk of transmission to food is low" says Dr. VanWingden, "but in this time we need to do every possible thing that we can to reduce the possibility of contracting this virus."
With the help of his son, Dr. VanWingden created this at home video discussing his recommendations on how to clean your groceries to help keep you and your family safe from the transmission of COVID-19 germs.
Throughout the 13-minute video, Dr. VanWingden takes you through a hands on example of how to safely bring in and clean groceries from the store and take-out.
Dt. VanWingden says that if he was able to save even one life through the information in this video, it was well worth it.
He is also optimistic to see the end of this pandemic and is proud to see communities coming together to make sure people are able to get the tools and care they need.
However, there is still work to be done "we need more testing capabilities and that's still emerging at rapid speed but the more that people can slow this curve the more science can catch up to the demand" Dr. VanWingden says, "and then we can start getting healthcare workers more of the personal protective gear they need."
Some of his recommendations include:
- splitting your counter into a clean and dirty side to maintain the germs in single, easily cleaned area.
- taking food out of cardboard and plastic containers when possible and putting them in ziploc's or a reusable container.
- wash your fruit in soap and water for 20-seconds, just like you wash your hands.
- send the youngest members of the family to go to the store if needed.
- wipe down your cart with sanitary wipes.
- commit to what you are buying before going into the store--you want to get in and out as quickly as possible.
- plan what you will buy for at least 2 weeks out.
Watch the entire video below: