30 more people sick after puppy bacteria from Petland pet stores
The illnesss comes from a bacteria called Campylobacter. People who got sick were resistant to commonly recommended, first-line antibiotics. Multidrug-resistant infections are harder to treat and have been associated with a higher risk of hospitalization and bloodstream infections. Health care providers should be aware that many antibiotics typically used to treat Campylobacter infection aren’t effective against this multidrug-resistant strain.
With the additional illnesses, 97 total people have bee confirmed to be sick in 17 states. 22 total people have been hospitalized but no deaths have been reported. 8 people have gotten sick in Wisconsin
90% of the people who got sick reported contact with a puppy from a Petland pet store. There are two Petland locations in Wisconsin: Racine and Janesville.
In order to reduce your risk of infection, pet owners should wash their hands thoroughly with soap and water right after touching puppies or picking up their poop.