Wisconsin businesses, organizations offering free services to federal employees affected by shutdown
WISCONSIN (CBS 58) -- As the government shutdown continues, people all over Wisconsin are stepping up to help furloughed government workers make ends meet.
USO Wisconsin has taken donations for just three days to help unpaid members of the Coast Guard and they've already raised more than $10,000.
That includes a $2,000 donation from the Milwaukee Brewers. There are multiple local promotions to make things easier for furloughed workers.
Casablanca's owner decided to give unpaid government workers a free lunch buffet until the shutdown ends. Sky Zone is also giving free sessions.
USO Wisconsin says the support has been impressive.
"The community has been just amazing. We've never seen this kind of outpour for supporting the military before. A lot of people in Wisconsin don't realize how many military are actually here. That's full-time active duty who volunteer to serve their country. And their family and them make sacrifices moving all around the country," said USO Wisconsin Executive Director Josh Soval.
If you want to donate to the Lake Michigan Area Coast Guard, you can either go in-person to the Milwaukee War Memorial Center or online.
Below is a list of businesses and organizations offering free services to help government workers:
- Doc’s Commerce Smokehouse offering free meal to federal employees impacted by shutdown
- Casablanca Restaurant offering free lunch to furloughed government employees
- The Wisconsin Maritime Museum is offering free admission to all federal employees (photo ID required) and their immediate families (partners, children) for the duration of the shutdown.
- In Thiensville, The Cheel is offering government employees to dine in for a free sandwich during lunch between 1-3 p.m. Friday, January 18. Everyone is requested to bring their valid government employee ID to redeem this offer – one sandwich per ID.
- From Monday, January 21st through Friday, January 25th, Bounce Milwaukee is offering a free Bounce wristband for any federal employee or federal contractor furloughed from work or working without a paycheck. We'll also provide Bounce admission for up to three dependent children. No purchase is required. Simply bring in proof of your employment and status.
- ComedySportz Milwaukee is offering free admission to any government employees currently being affected by the government shutdown for 3:00, 7:30, and 10:00 matches (1/18-1/19). Proof of government ID required for free ticket. One free ticket per government employee.
- Participating Sky Zone locations in Milwaukee/Waukesha are inviting federal government employees and their families for free fun and active play. Valid government identification is required. Federal government employees who are furloughed or currently without pay and up to three (3) immediate family members are each eligible for one (1)free 60-minute jump per day at Sky Zone Milwaukee/Waukesha every Tuesday through Thursday until January 31, 2019. Sky Zone socks are required but remember you can bring back SkySocks from previous visits to use again. Taxes are not included and no rain checks will be offered.