Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

We Energies employee saves neighbors from Racine house fire

RACINE, Wis. (CBS 58) -- A We Energies worker is credited for saving his neighbors from a house fire.

Chris Burbey was just just finishing up his shift when he spotted what he thought was a bonfire in his neighbor's backyard. He quickly realized that the house was on fire.

"I went to go pound on the front door to wake them up and they were none the wiser, they didn't know what was going on," Burbey said.

Burbey grabbed his wrench and shut off the gas meter, then pounded on the door to get his neighbors out.

"Everyone needs help every once in a while. I hope that in my family's time of need someone would do the same for me."

We Energies says the fire started in a natural gas grill that was accidentally left on at a low level.

Burbey and his neighbor used fire extinguishers to put out the fire.

The Fire Department was called to the home to make sure any hot spots were out. 

Share this article:
Save with