Waukesha police officer involved in shooting near Pebble Valley Rd.

NOW: Waukesha police officer involved in shooting near Pebble Valley Rd.

Update: Jul 6, 2020 12:20 PM CDT

WAUKESHA, WIs. (CBS 58) -- An investigation is underway in Waukesha after a domestic abuse incident led to a shoot out with police and one man dead after he shot himself. 

Waukesha police have been on scene for nearly 16 hours as the investigation continues near Pebble Valley Road and Grayfox Court.

Waukesha police said they were called to the home after police say a 45-year-old man tried to strangle a woman while her three young children were in the home. The family was able to get away. 

According to officials, police said they tried to talk with the suspect before the suspect shot at police, hitting an armored police vehicle. 

One officer was treated after getting hit with shrapnel. The officers involved were placed on administrative leave per protocol. 

Neighbors say they were surprised to hear dozens of gun shots last night. 

"I think I heard probably two or three get fired off and then there was a succession (of) 20 to 40 is what it sounded like," Cody Kave, who lives nearby, said. 

Kave said his wife and him were watching TV last night when they heard what they believed to be fireworks, but was actually fireworks.

"A lot of standoffs," Kave said. "We heard all the cars moving around. They were bringing in canines and others things. I know there were kids that house so I was kind of worried."

Kave said he feels bad for the wife and children. 

"Domestic violence is terrible, but it can happen to anyone," he said. 

Published: Jul 6, 2020 6:01 AM CDT

WAUKESHA, Wis. (CBS 58) -- An investigation is underway following an officer-involved shooting in Waukesha. 

According to police, Waukesha PD responded to a domestic abuse incident near Grayfox Ct. and Pebble Valley Rd. around 8:15 p.m., Sunday night, July 5. 

Police said during the assault, the suspect -- a 45-year-old white male -- attempted to strangle the victim. The suspect also had a handgun and threatened to shoot family members and police. The victim was able to get away, along with three young children staying at the residence. 

Officers established a perimeter and began making attempts to communicate with the suspect, and de-escalate the situation. While attempting negotiations, the suspect fired at an occupied armored vehicle from an upstairs window. Officers exchanged fire, to protect officers and citizens in the range of gunfire. 

After the exchange, officers attempted to make vocal contact with the suspect and were unsuccessful. WPD made entry and the suspect was located deceased by an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. Two firearms were recovered from the scene.

One officer was injured by shrapnel, when one of the suspect's rounds hit the armored vehicle. They were treated at a local hospital and released. 

The officers involved have experience ranging from three to 15 years with the police department. The involved officers have been placed on administrative leave, as part of department policy. 

The Milwaukee Area Investigative Team, with the City of Greenfield Police Department as the Lead Agency, is conducting the investigation. 

More details will be released as the investigation moves forward.

Share this article: