Washington County Sheriff's Office thanks passerby who woke up family, alerting them to garage fire

Washington County, WIS. (CBS 58) -- A garage fire in the Town of Kewaskum could have been a lot if it wasn't for a good Samaritan who happened to be passing by.

According to the Sheriff's Office, the passing motorist noticed a garage fire on Cty Tk H. He was able to notify the two adults that were home at the time of the fire.

The detached garage, near the home, was fully engulfed upon arrival of deputies. 

The fire remains under investigation but there were reports of significant thunder and lightning in the area as storms moved through.

The Sheriff's Office would like to thank the concerned citizen that observed the fire from a distance and went out of his way to investigate it. According to the Sheriff's Office, " Not only did this person contact 911, but he woke up the two occupants of the home. The garage was only 10 feet away from the home and this incident could have ended much different if not for his intervention."

The total loss is estimated at $50,000.

There were no injuries reported. 

Share this article: