Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Village Hall evacuated after gas leak in Bayside

BAYSIDE, Wis. (CBS 58) - A gas leak near the village hall in Bayside forced some workers to be evacuated Monday morning. 

Fire officials said a construction crew was doing drainage work when they hit a lateral gas line that supplies gas to Village Hall, the 911 Center, and the Police Department, causing a gas leak. 

It happened just before 9:00 a.m. Monday. Officials say We Energies called and they were able to shut off the gas quickly. Non-essential workers in Village Hall were evacuated for 20 minutes. Workers in the 911 center nearby weren't evacuated but fire officials checked the building and deemed it safe. 

No one was at the police station at the time. 

Fire crews tried to evacuate nearby homes, but no one appeared to be home at the time. 

North Shore Fire Rescue Chief Robert Whitaker says they did a thorough check of the buildings because gas leaks can be dangerous. 

"Gas is flammable. It's got explosive levels like we saw in Sun Prairie. Conditions have to be right. Just because there's gas doesn't mean it's going to explode. You have to have the right combination. The right amount of gas in whatever space you're working in to have that happen, but as far as cautionary measures we take them very seriously," said North Shore Fire Rescue Chief Robert Whitaker. 

No one was hurt or taken to the hospital following the gas leak. 

Share this article:
Save with