Video: Cudahy student claims she found live maggot in school lunch
CUDAHY, Wis. (CBS 58) – A Cudahy High School student claims she found a live maggot inside her school lunch Wednesday. Now, she’s hoping the district will review its practices so that it doesn’t happen again.
The Cudahy High School student captured the maggot in her school lunch on video. She didn’t want to be identified but spoke to CBS 58 News Wednesday.
“I saw something on the side of my tray move a little and I was like broccoli doesn't move on its own,” the student said. “My eyes teared up because I was going to throw up.”
The student said she gave the tray to her vice principal, but when CBS 58 News contacted the Cudahy School District they said it was the first they had heard of it and they’ll be looking into it.
The student said she hopes sharing what happened in the lunchroom will inform others.
“I just wanted parents to know that their kids could be eating this,” the student said.
While finding a maggot in your food may make your stomach turn, according to the FDA’s website their standards allow for a small number of insects to remain in the food.
The FDA website says: "It is economically impractical to grow, harvest, or process raw products that are totally free of non-hazardous, naturally occurring unavoidable defects.”
The student says the high school clearly didn’t either properly store, clean or cook the food and the tray she was given Wednesday was not acceptable.
“I would like to see the lunch ladies try harder, maybe wash the vegetables,” she said. “I don't think they should be serving bugs.”