UW-Oshkosh police investigating reports of multiple attempted assaults
OSHKOSH, Wis. (WFRV) - Update: Oshkosh Police have confirmed that a 27-year-old Oshkosh man has been arrested following an investigation of multiple sexual assault complaints, burglaries, and a battery and auto theft.
All incidents occurred Sunday, September 17th. Just before 5:30AM, a man attempted to take advantage of a woman while she was walking alone on the sidewalk at Elmwood and Cherry Avenue.
Police say she was able to get away from the man and several people nearby saw what was happening and chased the subject away.
The man is currently being monitored at a local hospital. He is expected to be transported to the Winnebago County Jail on multiple charges, including Sexual Assault, Burglary, and Operating a Motor Vehicle without the Owner's Consent.
The incident remains under investigation.
Police are also warning students to be safe with these tips:
- Take advantage of the UW Oshkosh Police Department CSO Safe Walk program when moving about late at night. This program involves peers and belongs to the campus community. For more information go to http://www.uwosh.edu/up.
- Consider planning ahead, so that when you walk you are visible to other people. Choose an open, well-lit, and well-traveled area.
- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Make eye contact with passers-by and glance occasionally behind you. If you ever feel threatened, know that there are strategies, resources, and allies at the ready:
- If you sense that you are being followed, change directions or cross the street. If the person or vehicle persists, run to the nearest place where you will find other people, and call for help.
- Take advantage of our campus's many, easy-to-use "blue lights" emergency kiosks. They are a direct link to University Police.
- Download and use the "UWO Mobile" app which has a number of great safety features.