Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Two families lose everything in fire at 13th and Cleveland

NOW: Two families lose everything in fire at 13th and Cleveland

NEXT:

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) – Two families were left with nothing after a fire started on the first floor of their home near 13th and Cleveland Wednesday afternoon.

“We literally had three minutes to get out of the house and we couldn’t go back in,” said Kristi Schodeberg, lived inside the house.

Everyone got out safely including Kristi’s dad who is paralyzed. Most of the kids in the home were at school during the time of the fire.

“It’s two separate houses but we are all together,” said Kristi.

They escaped with just the clothes off their back and thankfully, no one hurt from the fire.

“It’s a miracle,” said Ashley Williams.

Milwaukee firefighters went back in the home to rescue the cats and dogs but one of the families’ hamsters passed in the fire.

Shortly after the fire, the owner of the building took the families in and let them stay at the tavern at the corner.

“It’s an easy choice, it’s the humane thing to do, you know, help people,” said Neal Majszak, landlord.

All of their belongings were damaged in the fire. Some neighbors have stopped by to give them clothing and they are also looking for another landlord to take them in after this week.

“Any donations we are grateful for, even if it’s a dollar we are grateful for,” said Williams.

If you’d like to donate or know of a landlord, you can reach them here.

Share this article:
Save with