Tom Petty died of accidental drug overdose, family says

Last Updated Jan 19, 2018 7:13 PM EST

Tom Petty died of an accidental drug overdose in October last year, his family announced in a Facebook post Friday. 

"Our family sat together this morning with the Medical Examiner – Coroner's office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications," the post reads.

The Los Angeles County coroner confirmed Friday that Petty's cause of death was a "multisystem organ failure" due to mixed drug intoxication, including fentanyl, oxycodone, temazepam, alprazolam, citalopram, acetylfentanyl and despropionyl fentanyl.

His family said Petty suffered from "many serious ailments" including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip.

"Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury," it continues. The family said the fracture upgraded to a full on break and they believe the pain "was simply unbearable" and the cause of his "overuse of medication."

This is a developing story and will be updated.

© 2018 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Share this article: