Three new cases of mumps confirmed in Milwaukee

MILWAUKEE -- The City of Milwaukee Health Department has confirmed three new cases of mumps increasing the total amount of confirmed cases to seven. Three of those cases are associated with UW-Milwaukee.

The university told students about two confirmed cases at the school in an e-mail Wednesday, and said its health officials are working with the City of Milwaukee Health Department to see if there are more possible cases.

Campus health officials say those individuals with the virus have both of the recommended doses of the measles, mumps and rubella vaccine, or MMR vaccine. The one suspected case is believed to have the vaccine also.

More than 20 confirmed cases of mumps have been reported statewide this year, including seven at UW-Madison and one at UW-La Crosse.

Dr. Juile Bonner is the director of the Norris Health Center. She said a majority those infected across Wisconsin have the MMR vaccine.

She said the reason is because the vaccine is 95 percent effective, leaving a 5 percent chance of getting sick. 

Mumps is a contagious viral infection spread through coughing, sneezing, talking or through contact with saliva.

Dr. Bonner said some may be walking around not knowing they have the virus as it can take 16 to 18 days before symptoms show up.

The Milwaukee Health Department is coordinating with the university health center and health care providers to contain the spread of mumps in Milwaukee.


Share this article: