Tip Line: 414-777-5808 | newsdesk@cbs58.com

Area school districts respond to newly-released guidelines

NOW: Area school districts respond to newly-released guidelines

NEXT:

MILWAUKEE (CBS 58) – Some local school districts have started responding to the state’s guidance for returning back to school in the fall.

It’s still not clear if and how students will be able to set foot on a K-12 campus. At the end of the day, it’s up to each district to decide how to go about the state’s suggestions.

Some districts we heard from say they’re still in the process of looking over the planning document.

Districts like Waukesha and Shorewood explained how their recently created committees would come into play when it comes to a final plan.

They say this includes consulting their local health departments.

Waukesha’s committee, which includes board members, administrators, teachers and community members, will meet on June 24.

“It would be premature to discuss any plans or recommendations the district will adopt until the committee’s work is in process,” says Todd Gray, schools superintendent, in an email.

Greendale School District says they will be sending out an input survey at the end of the month for families and staff.

Whitnall School District says they’ve promised their families a plan by August, adding that there are too many questions and unknowns right now.

Shorewood School District says they’ll be presenting a plan to the school board on August 11.

New Berlin School District says they will be presenting to the school board Monday evening, and passing that information along to parents on Tuesday, June 23.

“We recognize that families, staff and the community need Milwaukee Public Schools ready to reopen as soon as the public health situation permits”, says Milwaukee Public Schools. “We also acknowledge that school will look different this fall. While guidance for returning to school have been presented, nothing has been finalized as we consider the ever-changing dynamics during the COVID-19 pandemic.”

Overall, districts told us it’s still too early to make a final decision, but family input will still be considered.

Share this article: