Rooftop heating unit causes fire at Mercury Marine Plant 15 in Fond du Lac

FOND DU LAC, Wis. (CBS 58) -- Fond du Lac Fire and Rescue crews were called out to the Mercury Marine Plant 15 around 3 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon for a fire.

Fire crews entered Plant 15 and determined that the fire was contained to the roof.

The staff worked to evacuate the workers in the immediate area while fire crews began to access the roof.

The rooftop suffered extensive fire damage.

There were no injuries reported.

. “With subzero temperatures and wind chills hovering at -30 degrees, firefighters work becomes more difficult than normal, said Fond du Lac Fire Chief Peter O’Leary. We were fortunate in this case that the fire was quickly extinguished. We have additional staffing during this cold snap and we quickly called in off-duty staff to keep the city protected while companies were at Mercury.”

Share this article: