Racine house caught on fire after woman heated rubbing alcohol to melt ice on her car

RACINE, Wis. (CBS 58) --- A Racine home was caught on fire after a woman heated rubbing alcohol on the stove to use it to melt the ice on her car Sunday morning, Feb. 14.

The Racine Fire Department was dispatched to a home in the 300 block of Luedtke Avenue just before 6:30 a.m. 

Upon arrival, fire officials found the occupants on the front porch trying to extinguish articles from inside the home that were on fire.

Officials say that fire fighters found that the fire inside the home was extinguished a noticed a bottle of rubbing alcohol on the kitchen stove.

According to a news release, the occupant from the house stated that she was heating the alcohol to melt the ice on her car.

After noticing the fire, the woman tried to take the burning pan from the stove outside, but tripped and spilled the burning contents on the area rug and floor in the living and dining rooms.

One person was injured and was transported to a local hospital for medical treatment.

Officials say the estimated damage is around $10,000.

Since the fire was extinguished, the call was downgraded and firefighters responded to the incident as an emergency call for service.

The smoke alarm in the home was replaced.


Share this article:
 
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?
Close
Are you sure you want to delete this comment?